The Salem Orientalist Society

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Somebody once told me they felt like a cat in a world of dogs

When Joseph Smith was killed in 1844, they wrote a song called "Praise to the Man," which was sung to a tune called "Star in the East" until sometime closer to the end of the century. Here's an image of that song in a hymnal that was sold in Kirtland. Try singing it and see if you don't think the church used to be a lot more true than it is now.

















But that's neither here nor there... As I was saying:

Farewell, farewell to all below
My Savior calls and I must go.
I'll launch my boat upon the sea -
This land is not the land for me.

Here's what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving, and what I want for Christmas this Christmas:
:: posted by Willy Purple, 8:45 AM

3 Comments:

don't you talk to me about the church. and you leave tom the cat out of this. you know he's registered on classmates.com, right?
Blogger Stephen, at 7:34 PM, November 22, 2006  
wait- you want to be a cat?
Blogger art history alli, at 8:22 PM, November 28, 2006  
I'd love to be there, but sadly I'm not getting in until the 19th. Maybe we could do something after then?
Also, in case anybody else is still around, I tried to get to classmates.com but they wanted me to register... I'm curious what it says, though, if he has some kind of profile or something... curious like a cat.
Blogger Willy Purple, at 8:49 AM, December 02, 2006  

Add a comment